Check your council’s requirements

You will need to contact your council to discuss the requirements for your building.

Seismic strengthening or projects that include demolition usually require a variety of approvals and consents. Councils are responsible for the day-to-day administration of building control legislation.

Questions to ask your council

  • Is my building an earthquake-prone building under the Building Act?
  • Is my building scheduled on the District Plan? If so, how does this impact what I can do to the building?
  • Does the work I am planning need resource consent?
  • Does the work I am planning need a building consent?
  • What kind of support does the council provide for heritage buildings?

List of council websites – Local Government New Zealand website