Check your council’s requirements
You will need to contact your council to discuss the requirements for your building.
Seismic strengthening or projects that include demolition usually require a variety of approvals and consents. Councils are responsible for the day-to-day administration of building control legislation.
Questions to ask your council
- Is my building an earthquake-prone building under the Building Act?
- Is my building scheduled on the District Plan? If so, how does this impact what I can do to the building?
- Does the work I am planning need resource consent?
- Does the work I am planning need a building consent?
- What kind of support does the council provide for heritage buildings?