Criteria for funding

To be eligible for funding, applications need to meet the following criteria:

The building must be privately owned 

The building must be privately owned. The applicant must be the owner or part-owner of the heritage building, or give evidence that they have the authority to submit the application on the owner’s behalf.

The building must be earthquake-prone, as defined by law

The building must be considered earthquake-prone by your council, under the Building Act. If you have no council notification that your building is earthquake-prone, you will need to provide an assessment of the building’s ‘earthquake resistance capacity’ from an engineer.

The building must have heritage value

  • Category 1 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List or 
  • Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List and also in an area considered medium or high risk, as defined in the Act.

If your building is listed on another category of the New Zealand Heritage List (as a wāhi tapu, wāhi tūpuna, wāhi tapu area or historic area), or scheduled on a district plan, it may still be considered for a Heritage EQUIP grant. Your grant application for these buildings would need to include independent verification of the building’s heritage values.

New Zealand Heritage List – Heritage New Zealand website

The planned work must strengthen the building to at least 34% NBS

The project must improve the earthquake resistant capacity of the building, or part of the building, so that it is no longer considered earthquake-prone. That means it must reach at least 34% of the new building standard (NBS). 

Heritage EQUIP recognises that in practice it is difficult to exactly meet 34% NBS. We may consider applications for a design that goes over 34% if the application shows the solution presented is optimal. 

An owner may want to strengthen their building to greater than 34% NBS. We will consider the application and assess the level of funding that we could appropriately offer within the scope of the Heritage EQUIP fund.

The type of work we fund

You must get all consents before you apply

You must have all council consents and permissions in place – this includes having building consent.

We will not consider applications for work that has already started. In some instances we may accept applications that are in the final stages of being consented.