Wairoa Meat Co. Building, Wairoa (works)
The Wairoa Meat Co. building was originally built in stripped art deco style as a carriage workshop sometime between 1915 and 1920. Unlike many of the buildings around it, it survived the 1931 earthquake. It was repurposed as a Ford car show room and later as the local butcher.
The new owners of the building commissioned a detailed seismic assessment soon after purchase. It identified limited capacity of the concrete frame, ceiling diaphragm, and roof frame. The owners plan to improve the commercial space on the ground floor, and residential accommodation upstairs.
A Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant in December 2019 went towards the cost of concept, preliminary, developed, and detailed structural design as well as a heritage impact assessment.
This Heritage EQUIP upgrade works grant will go towards the seismic strengthening that consists of front and rear concrete shear walls with associated foundation work, a steel roof bracing system, footpath canopy bracing, and concrete repair.
The building is listed as a Category 2 historic place with Heritage New Zealand.