Tarbert Street, Alexandra
The Tarbert Street Dental Surgery was built in the 1880s as a chemist, and has been in continuous use as a dental surgery since the 1890’s. Its façade is constructed in Schist stone.
The building owners are also the operators of the dental surgery and the work will be undertaken with minimal disruption to business. The upgrade will address the out of plane capacity of its stone masonry wall and as strengthening is internal it will not impact the street appearance.
A new ceiling diaphragm with wall/ceiling connections will be constructed and there will be new steel reinforcement to the inside of the front façade. On completion of works the building will have a seismic strength of 67% NBS.
The building is scheduled as a heritage item in the Central Otago District Plan.