St James, Auckland

Northland/Auckland
Grant: 
$1,500,000
Grant Type: 
Upgrade Works Grant
Date funded: 
June 2017

St James Theatre has been awarded $1.5 million. The grant will contribute towards the costs of foundation piling and substructure works, in preparation for base isolation.

The St James Theatre was built in 1928 to replace the Fullers Opera House which had been destroyed by fire in 1926. Designed by Henry Eli White, it was intended to host travelling vaudeville acts. Projection equipment was added in 1929 to allow the theatre to show films.

The building includes traditional theatre elements such as three steep tiers of seating, boxes and high quality acoustics in the main auditorium. The interior is a Spanish Colonial style featuring statuettes, marble steps and elaborate lighting.

St James Theatre is listed as a Category 1 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List. The building is also scheduled as Category A building on the Auckland Unitary Plan.

New Zealand Heritage List entry - Heritage New Zealand website