Pascoe's Buildings, Hamilton
The Pascoe’s Buildings are located prominently on corner of Garden Place and Victoria Street. They were built in 1916 for Joseph Frear and formerly known as the Frear's Buildings. Designed in the Free Classical style, the buildings were among the earliest substantial commercial buildings to be built in central Hamilton. One of the original retail tenants, jewellery firm of James Pascoe, bought the buildings from the Frear family in 1928 - later they were renamed the Pascoe's Buildings.
A detailed seismic assessment identified unreinforced masonry walls, parapet, chimneys and roof bracing as the building's critical structural weaknesses.
The Heritage EQUIP upgrade works grant will go towards installing portal frames, roof and canopy bracing, installing timber strongbacks to masonry walls, steel angle brackets to the underside of the first floor slab and parapet strengthening.
The Pascoe's Buildings are listed with Heritage New Zealand as a category 2 historic place and scheduled as a heritage item in the Hamilton District Plan.