This two-storied timber and weatherboard building was constructed in 1895 for the Oddfellows’ Whanganui Order. It was designed by HT Johns and built by Olliver & Simpson. Today it forms the eastern bookend of Ridgway Street’s block of heritage buildings and contributes to what is probably Whanganui’s most important heritage streetscape.
In addition to strengthening work, the owners will create two accommodation units upstairs and commercial space on the ground floor.
The building’s structural weaknesses are largely due to its narrow floor span and lack of lateral bracing. The proposed solution involves the insertion of a ground floor timber portal frame, plus bracing to the walls and roof. On completion of works, the building will have a seismic strength of 67%NBS.
The building is scheduled as a heritage item in the Whanganui district plan.