Masonic Hotel, Cambridge (works)
Cambridge’s Masonic Hotel on Duke Street was built in 1912 in an Edwardian Classical design by Auckland architect John Currie. Providing hospitality to locals and visitors to Cambridge for over a century, the Masonic is a significant landmark in the town. The building is currently in use as a backpackers, restaurant, gaming lounge and bar.
In May 2019 the owners of the Masonic Hotel were awarded a Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant of $36,900. With this grant they were able to commission a detailed structural and architectural design for the building.
This Heritage EQUIP upgrade works grant of $300,000 will go towards seismic strengthening aspects of the work to the building, including securing the parapets and chimneys, improving the floor and roof diaphragms, and installing first floor cavity ties.
Once both the seismic strengthening and wider redevelopment of the property is complete, the owners plan to reopen the Masonic Hotel as a high-end boutique hotel.