J.J. MacDonald Building, Marton
The J.J. MacDonald Building was designed in the Edwardian free classical style by Invercargill architect Charles Brodrickon in 1908. Situated on a prominent street corner it has architectural, aesthetic, and historic significance. The building is currently occupied by retail on the ground floor with residential accommodation above.
In 2018, the owners commissioned an initial seismic assessment and concept scheme which rated the building as 15%NBS. It identified in-plane weakness to the ground floors and out-of-plane weakness to the masonry upper level, including the parapets.
A Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant will go towards geotechnical and material strength analysis, a detailed seismic assessment, preliminary and detailed strengthening design, an upgrade cost estimate, and a heritage impact analysis.
The building is listed as a Category 2 historic place with Heritage New Zealand and scheduled to the Rangitiki District Plan.