Hotel St Amand, Tauranga (works)
Hotel St Amand was built in 1918 to a reinforced concrete-framed brick infill design by local architect Herbert Henry Clemson. It is the only remaining hotel in The Strand from the days when the port was located alongside. Today Harbourside City Backpackers operate from the first floor and a restaurant occupies the ground floor.
The structural upgrade will result in the hotel having a seismic strength of 67%NBS. The work is based on is based on structural design commissioned following an earlier Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant.
A Heritage EQUIP upgrade works grant of $150,000 enables the owners to:
- build reinforced concrete walls and footings to the ground and first floor
- establish and improve floor/wall connections
- fix external posts as strongbacks on masonry side walls
- fix strongback to masonry internal walls
- tie the parapet back to the roof structure.
It is a Heritage New Zealand listed Category 2 building.