Hereford Chambers, Christchurch
Built in 1908, Hereford Chambers was designed in an Edwardian 'Free' style that complemented the large neighbouring commercial buildings that once occupied this part of Hereford Street, forming a commercial precinct. Following the 2010 and 2011 Christchurch earthquakes, it is one of the rare remaining buildings of its type in the area.
The Heritage EQUIP upgrade works grant will go towards the following seismic strengthening:
- Levelling of the southwest corner including reinstatement of foundation connections
- Application of masonry ties, fibre-reinforced polymer, and fibre-reinforced grouting to brick walls
- Establishing a ceiling diaphragm to the upper level, with associated wall and gable-end connections
- Parapet repairs and connection into the roof structure.
Currently holding a heritage covenant on the title, following the completion of the works, Heritage New Zealand will review the building's heritage status.