Grosvenor Hotel, Timaru (works)
The Grosvenor Hotel is situated on the corner of Cains Terrace and Beswick Street in central Timaru. It is a three-storey hotel with a cellar. It was designed by architect James S Turnbull and built by the Shillito Brothers in 1915 of brick and stone with cement and plaster. The brick and stone of the exterior created a striking polychromatic effect. The Grosvenor hosted the Queen during her state visit in 1954.
Facing significant changes to a very large building, the owner has adopted a staged approach to the project.
Earlier in 2019 the owners were awarded a Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant of $29,100 which allowed them to secure a structural design and peer review for the seismic upgrade work.
A Heritage EQUIP upgrade works grant of $300,000 for the works phase of the project will see:
- ceiling and floor diaphragms installed in the top floors
- timber strongbacks added to the top floor
- restraint of the parapets
- bracing to the top floor walls
- and masonry ties fixed to the exterior walls.
The Grosvenor is listed with Heritage New Zealand category 2 historic place.