Grand Hotel Building, Palmerston North
Designed by prominent architect Joseph Clarkson Maddison in the Second Empire style, the Grand Hotel was built in 1906 to provide the finest accommodation in Palmerston North. Situated in the heart of the city on the Square, the Grand Hotel is a landmark of national historical significance. The Hotel was used by Queen Elizabeth II when she visited in 1954 - the first reigning monarch to visit New Zealand.
The hotel closed in 1972, and the building is now used for offices and retail.
The Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant will go towards a full structural design package including a structural design peer review and architectural and heritage advice.
The Grand Hotel Building is a Heritage New Zealand Category 1 listed place.