Former Bank of New Zealand, Matamata
The Bank of New Zealand building was opened in 1920 in Arawa Street, Matamata and one of the first permanent buildings to be constructed in the growing town. Located in the centre of town, the landmark Edwardian baroque style building is the only heritage building on Arawa Street, representing the growth and prosperity of Matamata in the early 20th century.
A Heritage EQUIP professional advice grant will go towards a full structural design package along with a structural design peer review and architectural and heritage advice to inform the design.
The owners plan to retain the commercial use on the ground floor, with residential accommodation upstairs.
The building is listed as a Category 2 historic place with Heritage New Zealand.