Berry Building, Wellington

Wellington/Wairarapa
Grant: 
$42,472
Grant Type: 
Upgrade Works Grant
Date funded: 
May 2019

The Berry Building at 145 Cuba Street is an Edwardian Classical commercial building. It makes a significant contribution to the streetscape of Wellington’s Cuba Street Historic Area. It was built in 1900 to a design by architect William Crichton as a studio for William Berry and his photography business. Berry took many portraits of young men about to embark for military service overseas during the First World War, the collection of which is now housed at Te Papa Museum. The building continued to be used as a photography studio until the 1940s and was later established as an art gallery by well-known New Zealand artist Peter McLeavey ONZM. The gallery has exhibited some of New Zealand’s most prominent artists, including Colin McCahon and Toss Woollaston.  

The current owners undertook substantial seismic strengthening works and refurbished the interior in 2001. This grant of $42,472 from Heritage EQUIP will allow the owners to complete their work on the historic property by securing the brickwork with anchor ties.

Wellington City Council heritage listing

New Zealand Heritage List entry - Heritage New Zealand website