Bank of New South Wales, Whanganui
The Bank of New South Wales upgrade project was awarded a $230,637 grant. The building owners have investigated 34% NBS and 67% NBS strengthening options that include:
- tying back the façade and parapet
- installing shear walls
- adding new diaphragms
- installing cross bracing
Designed by Wellington architects Crichton and McKay, the building was constructed in 1910 by local builders Russell and Bignell.
The two story building has unreinforced clay brick masonry walls and timber joinery. The internal banking chamber features an impressive Wunderlich pressed steel ceiling and concrete columns with plaster ornamentation.
The Bank of New South Wales building is listed as a Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List and a Class B heritage item on the council’s district plan.