51 Gladstone Road, Gisborne
Built in 1871 by Henry Clayton, this original Kauri framed structure is the oldest wooden building in Gisborne’s CBD. It was among several trading stores built on Gladstone Road at that time. Due to fires in the late 1800s very few of these original buildings remain.
Various modifications have been made over the years, including significant unreinforced masonry additions between 1910 and 1930 and a third floor in 2002. The building is configured ar three residential units upstairs and two cafe premises downstairs.
The building’s structural weaknesses are largely due to the unreinforced masonry walls and parapets.
The Hertiage EQUIP updgrade works grant will go towards the insertion of steel portal framing of all the first floor walls, tying back the masonry, and strengthening the parapets.
The building is scheduled as a heritage item in the Gisborne District Plan.