Heritage EQUIP funding was been awarded to a variety of projects throughout NZ - outlined in the table below.
Read the project summaries for more detail of the building's history, heritage value, and the strengthening work undertaken.
|Building||Seismic project||Grant awarded|
|Strengthening the foundations, shear walls and diaphragms.||$60,000|
|Bank of NSW, Victoria Ave, Whanganui||Tying back the façade and parapet, installing shear walls, adding new diaphragms and installing cross bracing.||$230,637|
|Ford Motor Company Workshop, Lower Hutt||Upgrading the foundations and columns, installing shear walls and bracing.||$273,448|
|TG Macarthy building, Cuba Street, Wellington||Upgrading foundations, shear walls, diaphragms and tying back the façade.||$250,000|
|AE Kitchen Building, Victoria Ave, Whanganui||
Tying back the columns and balustrade to the façade, restraining side parapets to roof and tying with the front parapet.
Installation of roof diaphragms, repairing and tying brickwork, improving connections between the roof, walls and floor, installing brace framing.
|Strengthening unreinforced masonry side walls.||$14,753|
|Removing internal non-structural unreinforced masonry walls.||$17,500|
Removing unreinforced concrete first floor and replacing with a timber diaphragm structure, steel bracing on the first floor, constructing ground floor foundations and shear walls.
Securing masonry parapets to the roof trusses, retrofitting roof and wall bracing.
|Foundation piling and substructure works, in preparation for base isolation.||$1.5 million|
|Tying back the brick parapet to the roof.||$10,000|
|Strengthening one of its floors, as part of a major refit.||$12,000|
The Albemarle Hotel upgrade project was awarded $60,000. The comprehensive upgrade project includes strengthening the foundations, shear walls and diaphragms.
Designed by architect James Bennie and built in 1906, the hotel has unreinforced masonry brick walls, timber floors and a timber roof. It features an ornate façade and octagonal cupola that has had previous strengthening work.
The building changed hands a number of times, and was known as the unofficial headquarters of the leaders of the 1913 Great Strike.
With both architectural and social significance, the building is listed as a Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List and a heritage building in the council’s district plan.
The Bank of New South Wales upgrade project was awarded a $230,637 grant. The building owners have investigated 34% NBS and 67% NBS strengthening options that include:
- tying back the façade and parapet
- installing shear walls
- adding new diaphragms
- installing cross bracing
Designed by Wellington architects Crichton and McKay, the building was constructed in 1910 by local builders Russell and Bignell.
The two story building has unreinforced clay brick masonry walls and timber joinery. The internal banking chamber features an impressive Wunderlich pressed steel ceiling and concrete columns with plaster ornamentation.
The Bank of New South Wales building is listed as a Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List and a Class B heritage item on the council’s district plan.
A project to strengthen Ford Motor Company Workshop was awarded $273,448. The funding will assist with upgrading the foundations and columns, installing shear walls and bracing.
Constructed in 1935, the industrial building has steel frames and an impressive North facing glass curtain walls.
The workshop was originally used to assemble cars from imported parts. During World War II the building was used for the production of munitions, explosives, and the construction of army jeeps.
The Ford Motor Company Workshop is listed as a Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List.
The TG Macarthy building was awarded $250,000 towards seismic upgrade work on foundations, shear walls, diaphragms and tying back the façade.
Designed by James O’Dea in 1897, the late Victorian commercial building had an additional storey added in 1904. The building’s classical façade includes round-headed windows embellished with pilasters, architraves and keystones.
The TG Macarthy building is a Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List and an important contributor to the Cuba Street Historic Area.
After the project’s completion, the ground floor will continue to provide retail space while the currently vacant upper floors will offer character office space.
The AE Kitchen building has been awarded $15,700. The grant will contribute towards the costs of:
- tying back the decorative façade columns to the façade
- tying the balustrade to the façade
- restraining the side parapets to the roof and tying with the front parapet.
The AE Kitchen building was constructed by Nicolas Meuli in 1909. The two storey unreinforced clay brick masonry building is a classic example of Edwardian Baroque architecture.
The building was originally constructed as a pharmacy for Albert Edward Kitchen. It has remained largely unchanged, both internally and externally, since it was built. Today, the ground floor is used as a retail space and the first floor has been refitted as residential accommodation.
The AE Kitchen building is listed as a heritage building in the council’s district plan. It occupies a prominent position on Whanganui’s main shopping street and is an important contribution to the historic townscape.
The Pumphouse upgrade project has been awarded $200,000. The grant will contribute to the costs of:
- installation of roof diaphragms
- repairing and tying brickwork
- improving connections between the roof, walls and floor
- installing brace framing.
The Pumphouse is made up of a collection of buildings that were the former Waterworks Pumping Station. The buildings were built in the 1800’s to resolve the city’s sewage and drainage problems.
The buildings have gabled roofs, restrained classical detailing constructed with Oamaru stone, distinctive arched windows and doors, multi paned steel windows and round windows in some of the gables. The roofs are a combination of slate and corrugated iron.
From 1923 to 1989 the site was used as the drainage board workshops. Since 1990 a demolition business has operated on the site.
The Pumphouse is listed on the New Zealand Heritage List as a Category 2 historic place. It is also listed on the council's district plan.
The Gallate's Building has been awarded $14,753 to strengthen the unreinforced masonry side walls. This will be completed by bolting beams under the roof framing to connect each wall. This is a relatively low cost solution that lifts seismic performance of the walls to above 34% NBS.
The building was constructed in 1932 following the Napier earthquake. The two story building was designed by JA Louis Hay, in the Art Deco style prevalent at that time. It was built by Holder Bros and constructed from brick and reinforced concrete.
The building has been maintained in the Art Deco style and contributes to the iconic Art Deco streetscape of Napier.
The Gallate’s Building is a Group 1 heritage building on the Napier District Plan. It is also included on the New Zealand Heritage List as part of the Napier City Centre Historic Area.
Munster Chambers has been awarded $17,500 towards the costs of removing the internal non-structural unreinforced masonry walls. In addition to the walls contributing to building mass, they posed a risk to building occupants.
The building was designed by architects J.A. Louis Hay and Natusch & Sons, with construction completed in 1933 by Curtlett Construction Co.
Munster Chambers is a single story building in the Art Deco style. The perimeter is reinforced concrete frames with double leaf masonry infill. Internal walls are generally single leaf unreinforced masonry with a nominal amount of timber frame infill.
The building is on the New Zealand Heritage List as a Category 2 historic place and included as part of the Napier City Centre Historic Area. It is also a Group 1 heritage item on the Napier District Plan.
The building is currently used as a commercial premises by law firm Sainsbury Logan & Williams.
Mid City Plaza is a collection of interconnected buildings located between Emerson Street and Dickens Street in Napier. A project to strengthen the Dickens Street building has been awarded $150,000. The grant will contribute to the costs of:
- removing the unreinforced concrete first floor and replacing with a timber diaphragm structure
- steel bracing on the first floor
- constructing ground floor foundations and shear walls.
The two story building on Dickens Street was designed by EA Williams and constructed for the Hawke’s Bay Farmers Co-operative Association. It was built in the early 1920's and survived the 1931 Napier earthquake.
The building consists of reinforced concrete columns and beams. The side and rear elevations are a plain plaster finish over concrete. The original façade has been altered since the 1920’s with the addition of a veranda and alterations to the original steel framed windows.
The Dickens Street building is a Group 1 heritage item on the Napier District Plan. It is also included on the New Zealand Heritage List as part of the Napier City Centre Historic Area.
The Former New Zealand Insurance company (NZI) building upgrade project has been awarded $94,700. The grant will contribute towards the costs of:
- securing the masonry parapets to the roof trusses
- retrofitting roof and wall bracing to restrain columns and distribute their loads.
The building was constructed for the New Zealand Insurance company in 1956. Designed in a Modern Neoclassical style by Gummer & Ford and Nelson architect Alexander Bowman.
The two storey building was built by C Gibbons and made from concrete, brick and steel. It has an L-shaped footprint and mono-pitch roof concealed by a plain parapet. ‘Curtain-wall’ fenestration on the north-facing façade is recessed behind two large freestanding columns with bronze detailing at capital and base.
The building is registered on the New Zealand Heritage List as a Category 2 historic place and a Heritage Category C in the council’s district plan.
The building is currently used as a restaurant and office space.
St James Theatre has been awarded $1.5 million. The grant will contribute towards the costs of foundation piling and substructure works, in preparation for base isolation.
The St James Theatre was built in 1928 to replace the Fullers Opera House which had been destroyed by fire in 1926. Designed by Henry Eli White, it was intended to host travelling vaudeville acts. Projection equipment was added in 1929 to allow the theatre to show films.
The building includes traditional theatre elements such as three steep tiers of seating, boxes and high quality acoustics in the main auditorium. The interior is a Spanish Colonial style featuring statuettes, marble steps and elaborate lighting.
St James Theatre is listed as a Category 1 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List. The building is also scheduled as Category A building on the Auckland Unitary Plan.
The National Tobacco Company building has been awarded $10,000 towards parapet strengthening.
The building was originally used as a tobacco processing factory, but will soon be home to a craft brewery and urban winery. The art deco entrance was designed and built after the original structure was damaged in the 1931 Hawke’s Bay earthquake and the iconic design has made this building a major tourist attraction.
The building is a Category 1 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List.
The former Union Steamship Company Store has been awarded $12,000 towards strengthening one of its floors, as part of a major refit.
The Union Steamship Company store was originally a warehouse for the South Pacific shipping company. The restoration project will see the building turned into apartments and offices and comprise yet another success story in the revitalisation of Dunedin’s warehouse precinct.
The Union Steamship Company Offices and Stores are a Category 1 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List.